Experiences with traction treatment of the spine using Detensor®.
Worldwide, there are many supporters of traction treatment. Traction (stretching, often erroneously defined as extension) has proven itself as a central method of therapy. This therapy has established it’s place in the Anglo-American literature, Amman (1955), Hoenig (1957), Dethloff (1970), Ulrich 1974) and Kraemer (1978) for instance, report satisfactory results by stretching, respectively traction as a single method of treatment, especially in cases of lumbago. All cases, however, use the ancient technology of stretch treatment combined with their inherent discomfort and psychological stress to the patient. These show immediate anxiety when they are literally hanged by the neck or their feet.
The long term traction system for the entire spine was developed in 1980 and used with great success since 1982, excluding any stress to the patient.
The system consists of a traction bed system and a therapy mat for intensive traction treatment. The traction bed system develops automatically approx. 5% (10%) stretch force resulting from the redirected body weight. The fundamental advantage is the application on the patient without straps, weights, etc. in the horizontal placement. The application in the horizontal body position made it possible to continuously support the patient during week long traction. Torsional movements i.e. turning should not be prevented but are desired.
The frequency of turning is reduced by 20% from the natural torsions, whereby it must be considered that turning occurs quite differently during the phase of acute pain. Observations of patients were performed by video recording. The therapy mat produces approximately 18% of stretch force resulting from the individual body weight. Measurement of the stretch force was performed by specially developed instrumentation.
Based upon the difference to the classical methods of extension, as the Glissen-sling, trapeze, spinal extension apparatus, inclined boards, suspension sling frames, etc. – etc., the system presented cannot exceed the normal amount of tissue loading as well as psychological stress situations during traction treatment.
At first, the system was designed to stretch the spinal column. The passing years, however, revealed additional positive effects. The continuously involved ribs produce not only the traction force but lead to an active massage of the connective tissue, to support and maintenance of inherent body rhythms, to improvement of the biomechanics, increase in lung volumes, controlled inter- organic information and deeper sleep, just to mention a few.
Measurements were taken with specially designed instruments for this purpose. The unusually high point elasticity of the material prevents vascular insufficiencies in the derma (Laser, 1988).
The micro circulation in the derma is considerably enhanced by the application of the Detensor-Supports (Kozhevnikov, 1994).
The following important points should summarize the various possible applications:
- Widening of intervertebral spaces.
- Loosening of muscle tension by lasting distension of musculature and ligaments.
- Volumetric increase of disks, thereby lowering the pressure on nerve roots in prolapse cases or deformities.
- Possible repositioning of malaligned spinal segments or prolapse.
- Realignment of vertebral foramen leading to eleviation or elimination of nerve root compression resulting in possibly improved vascular clearance from the affected epidural and paravertebral venous reticula.
- The possibilities for application of the traction bed system are unlimited since it is impossible to over distend the spine.
- The timely unlimited application and the resulting permanent relief in the disks, lead to improved fluid exchange and increased uptake.
- Natural turning and torsional movements accompanied by long term traction guarantee and assist in turn the function of the Jungshanns’s pump mechanics (plainly peristalsis) to further the intra-diskal fluid exchange.
- The long term traction therapy facilitates reaching the point in time, at which the intradiskal pressure begins to drop (after approx. 20 minutes). The patient does not have to rise at this time as before, for this reason the following 20 minutes of application will begin to produce real relief.
- The application of the mat for intensive traction treatment of the entire spine is administered basically in the phase of acute pain over a duration of 40-50 minutes, generally 4x daily at equal time intervals.
- The success in the different traction forces and different durations of application has been observed.
- The application of the traction bed system for post-infarction and thrombosis patients has shown very positive effects for those suffering from back pain over a number of years (Maslennikov CITO Moscow), eliminating the necessity for medication. Contraindications do not exist.
- Hospitals, respectively physicians, recommend the cost-effective Detensor-Method.
- An average treatment period of 3-4 weeks and total time of 7 years, make it possible to treat approx. 100 patients with the long term traction system. The resulting avg. cost per patient amount to DM 20-50, i.e. DM 1,50/day.
- The application of the long term traction system is very simple and can thus be explained briefly to the personnel without subsequent problems. The patient lies down and sleeps. Humans are used to go to bed, this being the reason for immediate acceptance of the bed system by the user.
- The external appearance has been kept simple for the purpose of avoiding patient uncertainty. One usually is admitted to hospital or sanatorium for rest and recuperation, instead of being hanged or strapped in an exotic apparatus.
- Addition loads on tissues subjecting the elderly, thrombosis patient, post infarction patients be suspension at the head are excluded in the treatment by the long term traction system.
- Traction is effective, extending into the cervical region of the spine.
- Application in home-care is made possible by simple handling. Use of the system upon release from the hospital is indicated, reducing or eliminating the risk of recidivity.
- There is no objection to initial medication from 1-4 days.
- Substantial improvement of intra-diskal metabolism is assured.
- Reerection and lengthening of the spine is possible. This was verified at the University of Bonn by Prof. Dr. G. Schumpe by means of ultrasound topometry in connection with a dissertation by K. Olberty.
- Measurements taken at the University of Basel, revealed that the application of the therapy mat unquestionably produced a brief increase in body height. This increase was in the range from 0.5 to 2.8 cm lasting for a minimum of 3 hours.
- Long term investigations were able to record permanent increases up to 3 cm.
- The increased hydration respectively re-hydration ensures the nutritional supply to the disks.
- Investigations have indicated that long term application of the Detensor-Method may lead to regenerative processes in the diskal tissues and cartilage. Investigations of the micro-circulation in the derma revealed circulatory maximization by measurements (E. Kozhevnikov 1994).
- A comparative analysis of treatment methods conducted at the University Clinic of Bonn, showed a significance of physiotherapy of 0.89 for the lower extremity support with intermittent extension of 0.90 and that of the Detensor-Method of 0.98 as highest significance.
- The German health insurance companies, AOK in central Frankonia, IKK in central Frankonia and Barmer in the medical service of Bavaria had conducted as pilot study for the case of application in independent therapy practices, providing it’s cost effectiveness.
- Investigations performed at the Reha. Center, Jaroslawl in Russia reported success in healing osteoporosis. Reduction in B.P. and cardiac arrhythmia were observed in patients at the beginning of detensorological treatment. Normalization followed automatically after several more applications.
- Since 1988, the Detensor-Method had been in practice at the Polyclinic of the Technical University of St. Petersburg in combination with acupuncture and manual medicine with significant results.
- Outstanding results have been achieved at the Rehab. Center of the Russian Government for different indications in the singular application of the Detensor-Method as in combination with other methods of therapy.
- The combination of bioresonance therapy with the Detensor-Method had shown significant improvements in the results of bioresonance therapy on patients. It is urgently recommended to combine both therapies to achieve better results.
- Treatment successes in pediatric disorders of the spine and the resulting organic disorders show that the detensorologic support triggers new processes in the systems of the body. These indicate that new ways in the treatment of children from 4 years on must be pursued in conservative medicine reaching treatment results unheard of to this day. The very simple application of this therapy for detensorologic long term treatment has, aside from the previously mentioned indications proved itself especially in the treatment of postoperative or degenerative conditions. A thorough medical examination preceeding any treatment is recommended.
- This system, in international use in hospitals since 1982 had treated successfully an indeterminable number of patients. No negative side effects are known to this date.
- The success of treatment in respect to countries differs, generally, however one can recognize more than 80-90% of success in improvement.
- These results have led to the secure establishment of the long term traction therapy in the treatment of back pain.
- The utilization of this method in the treatment of spinal disorders is recommended to every institution and user due to the proven effectiveness in treatment and costs.
- Very good results had been registered in sports medicine. The multiple applicable possibilities in the action principle of the system provide different possibilities for prophylactic utilization or therapy, respectively in training.
- Good results were achieved in the consequent use of the therapy mat of the system during training intervals and following hard performances.
- Hypertonicity of the musculature can be prevented, thus muscles remain elastic and warm (Strauss 1988). The system has also been used success fully for blockades with insertion of the facet joints in the thoracic and cervical regions. Total relaxation of the paravertebral musculature in made possible by this system (Huber 1992).